Here are the water temperatures compared to average (much of that water south of Hawaii is about 85°F):
If we look back at previous winter seasons (I looked at the period of November - February), what we find is that most of them tend to be average or wetter than average. The numbers listed on the maps represent above or below moisture (compared to the average). See the examples below:
2015/16:
1982/83:
This is just some initial research and some food for thought as we get closer. There's still so much to watch and interpret so that we might have a better winter prediction, but it is a very common question this time of year "what's the winter going to be like". In classic El Niño winters, the southern branch of the jet stream is much more productive and active.
October thoughts:
Temperatures:
I'd expect the month overall to be near or warmer than average, with cool weather in control for the eastern 1/2 of the country. If the upper-level winds are coming out of the northwest, this temperature setup makes total sense.
The first half of the month looks pretty quiet (DRY). I don't think we are seeing the full impact of El Niño on the pattern yet - that's to come later in the year. And if you are wondering about early frost this year, I'm not convinced that will happen either. I'd expect either an average first fall frost (usually mid-late October) or even later this year.
Persistent riding (high pressure) may setup across the Rockies for a few weeks, so our upper-level winds may be more west to northwest, which tends to limit rainfall for the Plains. I'm not saying we won't have any rain at all, but it does look drier than average for the first few weeks of the month.
It looks like late October turns wetter - something the models have been indicating now for quite some time. This active and wetter period is likely to continue into November, so that may be the earliest onset of the El Niño impact for the Plains.
Thanks for reading! Safe to say, things will get much more interesting in the coming months, and drought will likely have a significant setback in the weeks/months to come.









No comments:
Post a Comment