Monday, August 26, 2013

Stubborn pattern & ugly Kansas?

Last week, we had a story on KWCH about Kansas having the worst scenery in all of America. Naturally, as a Kansas native, it bugged me to hear someone make that declaration, and I think what most people associate with Kansas is only what they see on I-70 as they drive through the area. I'll admit, driving in Colorado is fun because of the Rockies. Missouri has some pretty cool scenery in the southern part of the state with all of the trees and the lakes. But every state is unique and beauty is in the eye of the beholder. To say Kansas has the ugliest scenery just means you haven't taken the time to look around at all we have to offer. I'd say we have a diverse landscape that far outpaces many areas in the United State. Scott Bean has captured some really cool pictures of Kansas scenery, and put it together in this video. If you have 5 minutes to check it out, it is well worth and while you are watching, try to guess where in Kansas each picture was taken. I will admit, our landscape looks so much better when we have green vegetation vs. the brown from the last two summers. Here is the link to the video:   http://vimeo.com/73014200

Our weather pattern won't change much for the next 8 or 9 days. High pressure is the dominant feature and just like the last two summers, this is how we had so many hot days in a row. I've lost count how many people have told me they are ready for fall, but I know some are still loving summer, and if that's the case, you'll love the fact this heat will be staying for awhile. I'm afraid moving into September, this high pressure won't give up without a fight. But I'm certain, once the high breaks down, we'll start getting some of our first tastes of fall, and I'm anticipating it could come earlier this year (compared to some other years)


2 comments:

Anonymous said...

The video is excellent! You MUST slow down and take time to see the beauty of Kansas. It is there!!

Anonymous said...

i agree with you kansas is gorgeus

Blog History