Sunday, November 11, 2007

Early Thanksgiving Prediction

When do you think we will get our first 1 inch of snow here in Wichita? Okay, so if you are the closest to the correct date and time, maybe I can come up with a prize for the winner. But you'll need to post your answer on here within the next 7 days. The official reading will come from Mid-Continent Airport, so make sure you are guessing for southcentral Kansas and please pick just one date.

We have a couple of forecasting models here in the office that have predictions that go out about 15 days. I've been watching them over the last week or so, and they seem to be hinting at a pretty good storm developing just after Thanksgiving, perhaps as early as the Saturday after Thanksgiving. I'm not really sure if it is rain or snow yet, but it looks like our weather pattern will turn more active around Thanksgiving. This should lead to more low pressure systems coming out of the west, with more opportunities for moisture and there will be colder air creeping in from the north too.

Just a reminder, our Storm Team 12 Travel Phone Bank is coming up next Tuesday from 5 p.m. to 7 p.m. You will be able to call in and get a forecast for your Thanksgiving travel destination.

Here is some more fall color that my mom has decided to share with you . The picture was taken just outside of Geneseo in my old stomping grounds.

14 comments:

Mack said...

I'm going to have to say November 26th, or December 10th. But I hope for not a lot of ice.

Anonymous said...

I am going to go with November 29th. Sounds like a good day!

Anonymous said...

A contest? I'm going with November 30! Snow is difficult to predict I hear...

Anonymous said...

Not sure. Lets go with the middle of December. Wasn't it last year in December and January at this time that Denver and parts of Colorado got those record amounts of snow?

Anonymous said...

Hi Jon.
Do you have an exact date in mind? I'm hopeful to get a prize for the winner of this contest, so I need an exact date. Keep the guessing coming! You never know, it just might be a weather umbrella.

Anonymous said...

Hi Ross!!! :) My prediction is December 24th...just before midnight. It would be LOVELY to have a bit of snow on Christmas morning. Also ~ our 4th-grade students at Freeman Elementary (in Haysville) are having a Read-A-Thon on December 14th and we would LOVE LOVE LOVE to have a local celeb come in and read a favorite story to our kiddos. Let me know if you're interested...we could pay you in cookies, cakes, pies, a pumpkin roll??? You name the price. :) Roger Cornish came in a couple of years ago...so you're more than welcome to bring a buddy!
Jodi Gerken
Librarian
jgerken@usd261.com

Anonymous said...

Ok, I was asked to post a date, let me see. Lets go for a White Christmas. December 24.

BenVossen said...

Nov 21

ShellBell said...

I think I'm going to go for a repeat of last year - Nov. 30, and it needs to be enough for a snow day again! However, because I'm not that lucky and can appreciate subtle irony, I'm going to say afternoon (3-ish).

Anonymous said...

I guess should have put a time down for my prediction that is most likely going to be wrong. Lets say 6pm

Anonymous said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Anonymous said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Anonymous said...

I'm going to guess December 11th at 5pm.

Anonymous said...

I'm going to make a guess of December 3 at about 3:00am. Thanks for the guessing game. It's lots of fun.

Blog History