Sunday, January 18, 2009

Changes Ahead

Our current weather pattern is nothing short of amazing. Highs in the 50s and 60s have helped us forget that we are still in the middle of January. We haven't had any real significant moisture for about a month now and we are still waiting for our first significant winter storm of the season. Snowfall has been rather limited this winter as the main snow track has been well north of Kansas.

However, the computer models that help guide our extended forecast have finally started to pick up on the weather pattern change that is coming at week's end. The main pattern will shift back to the southwest, and as I indicated in my last blog entry, that type of pattern brings moisture from the Pacific as well as the Gulf of Mexico. Where and when will the storm develop? Right now what is clear to us is that a cold front will be coming through on Thursday, taking us out of the 60s. It gets even colder going into the weekend and chances for moisture should be increasing during that time too. We do have snow in the forecast for next weekend, but I'm not 100% sure that we will really get that much snow yet.

Have a good week and enjoy the January warmth. Wednesday should be the warmest day, so record highs will likely be crashing during the afternoon. The forecast for Inauguration Day calls for mostly cloudy skies with a high of 32 in Washington D.C. There is going to be a stiff northwest wind too, so expect most of the people to be wrapped up in heavy coats.

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

Is the change that is coming this weekend going to stick around all next week too? These 50 & 60 degree days are sure addictive.

Anonymous said...

I will take the warm days, even if that means having to put up with a few cold fronts.

I would be happy to see some moisture so it doesn't get so dry, just prefer it wasn't in the form of snow, but living in Kansas, I don't expect to get my wish.

Anonymous said...

Mr. Janssen,
In searching for an email account to contact you, I happened across this blog. I am seeking some help for a unit I will be teaching soon to my third grade students. While you might not see this message for several days, I would appreciate being able to communicate with you if at all possible. My email is mballard@goddardusd.com. Thank you for your time, and my apologies for such an informal request.
-Ms. Ballard

Anonymous said...

Mr. Janssen,
My name is Lauren Hurley and I am a first grade teacher at Gammon Elementary in Wichita. Our three first grade classes are doing a reading unit on weather and would like to set up a classroom visit. If you could please contact me, that would be great! My email is lhurley@usd259.net
Thank you so very much,
Lauren Hurley

Blog History