Monday, September 3, 2007

Labor Day 2007

I really hope you had a nice holiday weekend. It seems like every year for Memorial Day, 4th of July, or Labor Day, we have severe weather to contend with, but this year was a quiet one.

I spent some time with a friend in Oklahoma City over the long weekend. We had a chance to check out Bricktown as well as the National Memorial. Bricktown is definitely a place you could spend an entire afternoon or evening. There are so many great restaurants and the atmosphere is hard to beat. (okay, so the "Boomer Sooner" thing was a little old, but I was outnumbered, so I couldn't start "Rock Chalk Jayhawk")











The National Memorial is also worth checking out, if you haven't already seen it. It's a tribute to the lives lost in the explosion on April 19, 1995. It is one of those tragedies that you remember what you were doing when you heard of the news. I was sitting in 7th grade current events class (oddly enough) when our teacher came in and said there had been a bad explosion in Oklahoma City, so we spent the rest of the morning watching it on TV. If you are ever passing through OKC, it is worth your time to stop in and see.


It's back to work and school now for a while. Scary to think our next big holiday will be Thanksgiving. Of course, there is Halloween in there, but last time I checked, most of us don't get the luxury of time off for that one (just those on candy overload)
The Kansas State Fair begins on Friday. I'll have more on that in my next post later in the week.
Best of luck keeping the days straight this week. Tuesday will feel like Monday for most.

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

Sounds like fun. Saw the memorial when it was under construction. They got the correct tone when building it.

Anonymous said...

The OKC river walk is fantastic. I was also in OKC this weekend too.

Anonymous said...

Ross, do you have an email address at KWCH?

Ross Janssen said...

Yeah, I sure do. It is rjanssen@kwch.com

Anonymous said...

Watch your Weather all the time. You are so calm during stormy weather, I appreciate that, I'm not fond of storms. Keep up the GOOD weather casts and we'll keep watching. Oh, yes we enjoy seeing your dog.

Blog History