Saturday, April 14, 2007

Accurate?

We received a few phone calls regarding the snowstorm on Friday and our prediction of the event. The storm ended up tracking about 75 miles south of where we had anticipated it to go and therefore, the heavier snow ended up in southwest Kansas. In case you missed it, Dodge City had 10 inches of snow, while other areas had 12-14 inches. Northwest Kansas had snow, but it wasn't as heavy as we had anticipated.

I know I've said it before, maybe not on my blog, but forecasting snowfall accumulation is one of the hardest things we have to do as meteorologists (and I'm not making excuses here). One mile can make all the difference in the world as to who gets the heaviest snow. During my time at Channel 6 in Lawrence, I watched storms come through and drop 10 inches on Topeka while Lawrence didn't see any snow at all. Our technology is getting better and so are the forecasts we put out everyday, but remember, meteorology is not an exact science and we just do the best we can with the data that is available to us.

Honestly, I think most people are glad we didn't get as much snow as predicted because we are ready for spring to return. Enjoy the rest of your weekend.

No comments:

Blog History