Monday, April 16, 2007

It Keeps Coming!!

I found some time to add up rainfall amounts for the last 30 days in some of the surrounding areas. These numbers include rain and snow from March 16-April 16 and the Wichita number is rather impressive.
Take a look.

Wichita: 7.49"
Salina: 4.31"
Russell: 3.71"

There are several puddles around the area, muddy roads, and a decent amount of standing water in ditches. Yes, we've seen a bunch of moisture over the last 30 days, but remember how dry it was last summer. Kanopolis Lake was at record low levels and you couldn't even get a boat on the water. There were several ponds that dried up in the summer heat and my dad and brother were hauling water to cattle. There have been several rounds of rain, and crazy enough, snow lately, and it would be nice to catch a week of dry weather so we can catch up on our outdoor chores. However, this is the time of year when we get the majority of our moisture. We don't know what this summer has in store, but if it is a typical Kansas summer, we will be thankful for the extra moisture that we get this spring.

Speaking of summer, if you are a teacher or student in an area school, are you thinking about summer vacation? I know some are already counting the days to their extended break! Have a good week.

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

I'm glad the weather is starting to warm up finally. Not being a fan of the cold, I spent a short amount of time in Texas to escape the cold weather that Kansans endure. In the first week I returned, my family had a significant amount of snow! I'm just thankful its over. Don't worry about the predictions, Ross! You do a great job, and you look good doing it!!

Anonymous said...

As the grandmother to 3 who will have them all day when summer gets here, not so sure I would say I look forward to summer.

Anonymous said...

I am a teacher and I can honestly say that this weather makes both us and the kids antsy for summer. We've started having extra long recess. :) It can't get here soon enough!!

Anonymous said...

I'm not a student anymore, but I'm still looking foward to the summer and spending time with family and friends out on the lake. I can't wait to get the boat out for the first time this year!! Bring on the warm weather

Blog History