Thursday, August 21, 2014
Millie's weekend plans & stubborn heat continues
As far as our weather is concerned, the forecast isn't going to change much through the upcoming weekend. All week, we've been getting these isolated afternoon and evening storms that briefly produce some hail and high winds, and then collapse. Almost all of them have been in western or northern Kansas, and that will likely be the case again today and tomorrow. The steering winds at 30,000 feet and higher are all basically pointed northeast and that drives most of the activity that develops into Nebraska and surrounding areas. There should be some organized areas of rain developing Friday evening in eastern Colorado and far northwest Kansas, but once again, with the way the upper winds are blowing, there is little chance any of that will make it to central or eastern Kansas. Even if it does, it won't be enough to even settle the dust.
Looking ahead to next week, we are still going to have some hot weather around Kansas. We had hoped a cold front coming through on Sunday would knock the temperatures down 10-15 degrees, but that is looking less likely now as the heat holds on. We will have to keep an eye on the second-half of next week for a storm system to emerge from the western US. It's just interesting so late in the summer season and all of sudden, we find ourselves in weather that we would normally expect in July. That's Kansas for ya.
- ► 2015 (106)
- Heavy rainfall and storms for part of the holiday ...
- Continuing storm chances & holiday weekend outlook...
- Heavy rain for some, none for others
- Slowly changing pattern this week
- Millie's weekend plans & stubborn heat continues
- 35 days left of summer
- Weekend summary & storm wrap from last night
- Sun dog appears & rain chances return
- Rainfall comparison and late week warmup
- Meteors, hurricanes, and back-to-school forecast
- Rainfall amounts from 8-9 through 8-10
- Hawaii storms and Kansas gets ready for more chang...
- Sunsets, rain totals, and another round coming
- Election Day heat & then storms
- August heat, storms, and a short family getaway
- ▼ August (15)
- ► 2013 (32)
- ► 2012 (18)
- ► 2011 (29)
- ► 2010 (55)
- ► 2009 (49)
- ► 2008 (92)