Tuesday, March 6, 2007

The buzz around Wichita on Tuesday was a hole that showed up in the clouds. If you missed it, here is just one of several pictures that we received in the weather office.
It is very rare for something like this to show up, but you can't miss it when you see it. There is some question as to how it forms, but the way we understand it is ice crystals fall from above, maybe from airplane exhaust or from ice in another cloud. The ice falls into a cloud layer which contain super-cooled water droplets (basically they are droplets of water that exist at temperatures below freezing). As soon as the ice encounters the water droplets, they absorb water from the air. The moisture that is lost forms the hole in the cloud. So now, you have ice crystals that are heavier than before and continue to fall, which create the angel-like wings in the middle of the hole. Did you see it Tuesday and what do you think it looks like in the center of the hole?
I hope my explanation made sense. The science behind meteorology can be rather intense sometimes, but no doubt very interesting.

Thanks everyone for sending your pictures to the station and thanks to my friend Dave for calling my attention to this cloud feature. I would have missed it otherwise.

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

the cloud looks like an eagle to me. and who is this Dave? sounds like some big jerk to me... if he is someone you work with then I don't want to hear about it in future blog postings...

Anonymous said...

I think this is a very interesting concept. Wish I could've been there myself to see it.

Anonymous said...

I'm glad you posted a picture Ross! I missed it and wouldn't have seen it otherwise. Thanks!

Anonymous said...

Thanks for posting the interesting cloud. I wish I could have seem it. I really enjoy this kind of interesting "weather remarks" Thanks to all of your team for keeping us posted and safe.

Blog History