Friday, June 13, 2014

Father's Day weekend planning

Happy Father's Day a few days early and a special shout out to my dad. There are several things that my dad has taught me over the years, but probably the one lesson I value the most is not to be afraid of hard work and help those around you. I've watched my dad work 6 and 7 day weeks and never complain, but such is the life when your livelihood is agriculture and you are trying to work around the weather. His words of encouragement also help me overcome some very tough days while going through college (a degree in meteorology requires some really challenging classes)

Severe threat - Saturday. Main focus will be to the north
This weekend will be a warm/hot weekend around the state. The wind increases too, which will help dry things out a little and maybe some combines will be rolling in southern Kansas. We do have a threat for some severe weather coming up Saturday evening and into the night. There is a moderate risk for northern Kansas, so those areas north of I-70 and along the Kansas/Nebraska state line should pay special attention to what develops tomorrow evening. There could be a few other storms trying to develop farther south into central Kansas, but I think heading into Saturday night, the favored area of storms will be to the north. The wind profiles may allow for a few tornadoes too, and heading into the night, storms will generally shift east.

Severe threat - Sunday - areas shifting south and east of Kansas
Father's Day looks pretty nice for most of us. Highs will be in the 80s with less wind (woohoo!!!) The front will be pushing to the south, so by the late afternoon hours, storms will be in Oklahoma, southeast Kansas, and over into Missouri. Have a terrific weekend.

No comments:

Blog History