Friday, April 11, 2014
Burn Scars and weekend rains
The National Weather Service in Topeka sent out this satellite picture earlier in the week showing the burn scars over the Flint Hills from the recent controlled burns. It brings back memories of when I was a kid growing up on the farm/ranch and we'd do some controlled burning. It was always an adrenaline rush (much like storm chasing) because you had to help keep the fire contained. We'd be out there with old wet mattress pads and buckets of water to do our best at keeping the flames under control. And you tried not to inhale more than your fair share of smoke either.
We are still on track for some rain this weekend. There will also be a chance for thunderstorms too, which isn't a surprise considering the time of year. The chance is somewhat isolated for Saturday, but thunderstorms that develop will have a chance of producing some large hail. The highest likelihood of that happening is over northern Kansas (where the Storm Prediction Center has drawn a slight risk). Any severe storms Sunday will be in eastern Kansas (see the day 3 image) and should be spotty (at least the severe stuff). Computer models give us some decent rainfall (more than just a spit) out of this weekend storm. Take a look at the forecast rainfall amounts from one computer projection this weekend. Not a drought buster, but if we get over .50", count your lucky stars. We are in bad need of rain right now.
- ► 2015 (94)
- By now, you have probably heard about or even seen...
- Some rain (better than dust); still windy
- Sunday severe weather - windy week ahead
- Weekend severe chances
- Lots of rain for some; chances return into the wee...
- Severe threat and look who is back!!
- Happy Earth Day & Severe storms
- Sunday evening rains and severe potential this wee...
- Is it true??
- Did Millie drool & new weather graphics
- Next few rounds of rain chances
- Record lows and another chance for rain
- Cold, snow, and total lunar eclipse
- Burn Scars and weekend rains
- A cold front has now moved through Kansas and it w...
- Weekend rain chances
- Drought & late frost/freeze
- Pattern change this week
- Wall cloud and weekend rainfall
- First severe weather and weekend outlook
- Severe threat update (4-2-14)
- Storm chances return
- ▼ April (22)
- ► 2013 (32)
- ► 2012 (18)
- ► 2011 (29)
- ► 2010 (55)
- ► 2009 (49)
- ► 2008 (92)